Nowadays you can buy printers at down to earth prices. But the cost of ink cartridges are heavy and the running cost of a printer very high. However, with a little care you can get the most out of your printer and save money.
Here are a few tips:
- Always choose the Draft mode to print if you don’t need the best of quality.
- If color is not important to you, choose Grayscale Printing.
- Always use the Print Preview function before you actually print something especially when you are printing from a web site. Some web pages are just too wide to fit into your paper. Even, if the web page has a printer friendly version, it is a good idea to see the preview because it can help you choose which pages to print as quite often we just need some selected pages.
- If you are printing a web page and you are only interested in the text, then instead of printing the whole page, you can just select the portion of text you are interested in and choose Selection under Page Range.
- If you are in the habit of switching your printer on and off from the main power instead of the switch on the printer, then you are doing wrong. When you switch off the main power, you are bypassing the normal shut-down process, preventing the heads from parking properly.This can dry the printhead out or cause it to clog. Always use your printer’s own power switch to turn it off.
- If you don’t use your printer regularly, atleast print a page once a week to keep the cartridges fresh. Otherwise, the print cartridge may dry out of disuse.