Free Ericsson laptop giveaway hoax

Here is the text of a mail I received today.

Hi,

Ericsson are distributing free laptops for their brand promotion.

They hope to increase their popularity and sales by this campaign.

All you need to do is send an email about this to 8 people and you will

receive an Ericsson T18 Laptop.

However, if you send an email about this to 20 or more people, you will

receive an Ericsson R320 Laptop.

Make sure you send a copy to: anna.swelung@ericsson.com

I really doubt if anybody actually believes such mails. But the very fact that my friend has forwarded it to me indicates that either he believes what the mail says or even if he is 99% sure that it’s a hoax, he does not want to take a chance with the remaining 1%. What if this mail was true and what if Ericsson is indeed giving away those freebies? So he forwards the mail. After all, it takes only a couple of minutes for anybody to forward the mail to 8 or 20 people. So, just like my friend, most people prefer to forward such mails rather than delete it.

As for this particular mail, there seems to be two versions of the hoax, one which says Ericsson is distributing free laptops and other that says Ericsson is giving away free phones. Anyway, Ericsson has officially announced that this mail is a fraud.

Note: Just for the records, I didn’t forward the mail to anyone.

Comments

  1. says

    hola amigos la verdad desde hace años me llegan correos con cosas asi ,pero nunca reenvio eso, jeje ademas me da risa de unos que dice que si no lo reenvias moriras o que perderas tu trabajo, bueno lo unico que quiero decirles es que yo utilizo el intrenet para trabajar y desde hace años trabajo desde casa, si quieres informacion de mi negocio que ademas olo tiene 10 meces , solicita info sin compromiso en http://elclubperfecto.tk te resumo pagos semanales por medio de unas masterdcard que te regalan

  2. Chris says

    I as you did received it from a mate – his email to 20 people was sent just 20 minutes after he received the original so you can understand how quickly these things spread, The 1st thing i did was check out the Ericson site which normally details any scams (as most companies do to protect their image).
    the funny thing is I have already started receiving junk email (which are being filtered out) but the email account I have is only 2 months old & only used for communicating between friends & family

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>